Over the past three years, I’ve had the typical love-hate relationship with protective styles for my natural hair. I love what they have to offer, but I hate putting in the time to make them happen. But I’ve recently stumbled upon an amazingly simple and healthy routine that keeps me natural to the fullest, makes my tresses super succulent and requires a couple of hours a week of invested time.
The result is a kick-ass twist out (click on each pic to enlarge).
This is seriously the first time I have *loved* my twist out. Usually, I just roll with it because I took the time to do the twists and just try to get the most out of the by-product. But now, I think I’m going to stick with this as my winter routine.
So, here’s the skinny:
1. Deep cleanse hair – more on this to come. I’ve upped my bentonite clay deep cleansing game and I’m in love all over again.
2. Condition and detangle – I just used Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship. Concentrate most of the conditioner on the ends of my hair and detangle with my denman.
3. Blot hair to remove drippies.
4. Twist with moisturizer on slightly damp hair. I’ve been making my own moisturizer infused with all kinds of goodies and I don’t think I’ll ever go commercial again!!
5. Keep those ends moisturized nightly for each day the twists are in. Every night I apply my moisturizer to my ends and each night I think I’m gonna be a greasy mess. But I wake up every morning with the softest, touchable hair.
6. Sleep with a silk/satin scarf/pillowcase. I end up skipping the scarf from time to time, so the pillowcase is a MUST for me.
I put these in on Friday night, and took them out Tuesday morning. I am IN LOVE.